November 23, 2005

Update on the grown-ups

We're just weeks away from the end of this Fall quarter. M is busy working on some provocative research ideas. He has been meeting with his advisors in hopes of nailing down a research agenda so that he can start writing! If all goes well, M will take his Oral Qualifying Exam (and pass it) by the end of this school year. After that he qualifies as "All But Dissertation" (ABD), and can concentrate full-time on writing his dissertation, getting published, and job marketing.

We're particularly excited about two research avenues: M's St. Louis mentor wants to co-author a paper with him! (This is a very big deal; this guy is well-known and respected in the field). The other idea may lead to a joint project with M's good friend, Scott (studying Econ at Univ. of Georgia).

Matthew turns 29 on December 21st! We're looking forward to celebrating his last birthday in the 20s!

As for me, I'm wrapping up my first university writing course. My students have come a long way, and I am excited about tweaking the syllabus and gearing up for next quarter's class. It has been a lot of pressure to teach at the university while still trying to get through my own coursework. I'm currently working on two papers: spectacle in Chaucer's Clerk's Tale (from his Canterbury Tales), and second, an economic history paper on the shift from church/charity-based to more government-based social welfare (particularly for orphans and foundlings) over several centuries (medieval to modern).

My academic agenda at the moment looks like this: complete my course work by the end of this year, (receive my Masters in June!!), study over the summer and Fall 06 quarter for my Preliminary exam in early December next year. After that I "just" need to research and write my dissertation, defend it (Qualifying exam) and finish it.

One fun tid bit: All three of us will be traveling to Hawaii in January! I'm presenting a paper at an academic conference in Waikiki, and we figured it would be a great chance to take a mini-vacation! We will stay with my dad and his wife, Claudia, on thir boat (conveniently docked right across from the hotel I'm presenting at!). We have plans to go sailing, whale watching, sight seeing, etc. Oh yes, and this will be my first conference paper presentation, necessary for building a competitive resumé. We'll send pictures from the trip!

No comments: