February 2, 2006

4th year check-up

An update on Abby's 4th year physical:

As you know, Abby had some questions for the doc. She got them answered today. So that we all know, our bodies make blood in our bones, our spleen gets rid of the old blood, and our bones grow at the growth plates (isn't that so cool? ). There was more detail than that, but that is about what I can remember at the moment.

Last night Abby had a rough time going to sleep; she was afraid of getting a shot from Dr. O. Matthew said that Dr. O wouldn't give her the shot-- the "mean, nasty nurse" would do it. There was a slight rebuke for putting it quite that way, and apparently Abby noticed:

(Later tonight while I was away at class)
A: Daddy, did you say that nurses are mean and nasty?
M: Yes.
A: What means nasty?
M: Well, it's kind of like "mean."
A: That's not very nice.
M: Yeah, I know, I was joking; I said it to be funny.
A: Momma didn't think it was funny. (pause) I didn't think it was funny.
M: I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that.

So anyway, Abby had one shot and was fine. She's 3' 4.75" (71st percentile!) and 38lb. (72nd percentile). She's gloating over Dr.O's prediction that she will be taller than her momma...I know, BIG surprise. Her vision is 20/40 in both eyes (normal for her age) and she hears very well. Just like her mom.

No comments: