September 23, 2010

pre-schooler!


DSC_0459
Originally uploaded by gennabby.
This was the best pic I could get of our squirmy wormy on his first morning of pre-school...

Bean started pre-school on Monday! He marched himself into the classroom, sat down to play with trains and only said goodbye to me after the teacher prodded him to do so. He didn't even look up! And you know what? I din't even tear up as I walked to my car to figure out what to do by myself for an hour (the first day was an hour and 20 mins., not 3 hours). He's more than ready to enjoy the time with kiddos his age, and I am happy for the short break from being on high alert that my all of a sudden toddler turned mountaineering yahoo crazy explorer child has gotten himself stuck in some precarious place. Again. Probably in search of a snack or dangerous tool of some kind. This mellow little guy is a lot like Curious George...so well meaning, well, most of the time, but into so much trouble! And he's smart about it. For instance, when is a great time to swipe a Trader Joe's cookie? Hmm, when mom is in the shower, of course.

G (shampoo in hair): Noah--Who got that Joe Joe for you?
N: Um, me.

Those cookies were up impossibly high. Matthew told me that Noah boasted: "Daddy, do you want a Joe Joe? They are at the top of that ladder!"

So in the last week, I have:

caught Bean at the top of the cabinet, you know--where the liquor and cookies live.
caught him in the car (and subsequently had to get the car jump started)
caught him in the basement. Twice.
found him sleeping UNDER his bed. Way under.
caught him in the garage trying to get onto Abby's bike (he was almost there. I'm thankful for that sturdy kickstand).
caught him at the end of our driveway checking out the machines and construction as the city replaces the storm drain system on our street.

A few of the things he's been caught WITH: scissors, sharpies, whole gallons of milk, pliers, espresso tamper, his mouth full of (non-authorized) chocolate or fruit leather or cookies...you name it.

He can unlock the locks and he isn't asking for permission to go outside--he just does it.

Those 3 hours of preschool, MWF, are going to be lifesavers. For both of us. Oh yeah, and we are SO PROUD of him!! He is really growing and becoming his own little dude. Love it!

1 comment:

Melanie said...

OH-Beano and Grayson are going to have a lot of fun! I love that kid. I would have asked for a cookie in the shower.