May 20, 2006

Mark Twain and Mojitos

I handed in my revised thesis today. Matthew took me to a movie to celebrate, and now we are winding down with some reading and yummy drinks. We're trying to expand our library a bit--the modern part of it, that is-- as we seem to own a ton of pre-modern literature, economics texts, theology books, and literary criticism but very little else. On the search for some light reading, Matthew ended up with Puddin' Head Wilson (a wonderful piece by Twain; I recommend it). I have required reading to do: Aphra Behn's "The Widow Ranter." Funny enough, I might have actually picked something like that up anyway. I'm in a book club (I know, WHY would I be in a club that makes me read MORE than I do already?!?), and we've read Wiesel's "Night" and Alexander McCall Smith's "The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency." Next up is "The Mermaid's Chair," which I have yet to start.

What are your favorite books? Write in with your picks and a quick blurb about why you'd recommend them!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of my favorites' is Green Eggs and Ham. I really like the rhyming words and the pictures are fun to look at. The guy with the tall red and white hat is the main character and such a hoot! You guys need to lighten up a bit! Nancy

Bronwyn said...

So many books! So many books! Here are a few I loved:

Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow (peter hoeg) - it's a crime/mystery novel, but I hardly followed the story because I was so caught up in the BEAUTIFUL way he uses words to describe things - like different types of snow, or why (s)he loves numbers.

the god of small things (arundhati roy) - again, most exquisite and understated descriptions, set in india. I read it a long time ago and have been wanting to re-read it for a while now...

the curious incident of the dog in the night time (mark hadden) - I actually have this one on my shelf if you'd like to borrow it - a fascinating look 'inside the head' of a boy with Asperger's Syndrome. I had always wondered what happened in the head of 'rain man' type people, and this gave me an idea.

freakonomics (levitt and dubner). Just finished this one this week - most marvelously entertaining (which surprised me, given that it was all economics)... no offence Matthew...