February 16, 2008

hand-made (by machine)


hand-made (by machine)
Originally uploaded by gennabby.
So I tried my hand at making a garment for the first time. Even more than before, I now appreciate the Project Runway designers (and the thousands of clothing industry workers) who make clothing. This little dress is cute, but I learned a lot about the pitfalls of working with fusible interfacing (note the lumpy look to the collar) and of just using a pattern without extensive fittings on the model (note the slightly baggy arm holes). I might fit the arm holes and make some fabric flowers for the collar, which would help the overall look to be more polished.

It was fun to try, but I like quilting better. Quilts lay flat and are made of lots of straight lines! Plus, I enjoy shopping with Abby in the stores. She loves to model big, flouncy dresses! Abby's great-grandmother, Nancy, makes her nightgowns on occasion--she has worn her first one to nearly-threadbare condition, which makes it all the more cozy and special. I now realize how much time is spent crafting the nightgowns with their gathers and lace, bows and cuffs. Good night! That's a lot of work. I went with a non-sleeve option hoping to avoid some trouble, but I guess clothes are just quirky things to make by hand. Hats off to Meemo and to the others of you out there who do this stuff well. Really. Oh yes, I have to mention that without Matthew explaining the ridiculously baffling instructions, I never would have made this dress. I am not gifted at thinking spatially; M provided lots of technical support in the making of this dress!

No comments: