July 16, 2009

we're home

I get to see the sun rise every day because we have a vaulted ceiling and a dormer window in our bedroom--oh, and a monkey-child who wakes up around 7 am and who is lovingly delivered to our bed by his sister (after which she finds a spot in our bed and falls back to sleep while the "grow-mups" get up with said monkey-child). Besides being on call for Noah, we are feeling like grown-ups for other reasons too:
We have a closet. This thing is a walk-in closet we could live in.
We have a washer and dryer! I did ten loads of laundry in the first two days here. One would think that I'd be over it already, but I am still so glad to be able to do laundry at the same time as other things around the house.
We have our own bathroom! I think having 2 bathrooms will be a must from now on. We're spoiled.
Our fridge is taller than me; our disposal works; and we're not living next door to undergraduates. I think we've arrived. All of this might seem odd to mention, but we've been married with kids for a long time and have both looked forward to being done with student life for so long, that these things are meaningful for us. They also make me realize that I've made the mistake at times of living for the next stage of life rather than loving the one we were in. A house doesn't define our home, it just has an impact on the way home life feels. So I am reminding myself that this is our real life; we are not living for the day we own a home again. That may come (or may not, considering Princeton's home prices), but I can't wish my kids' childhoods away waiting for the day the floor I'm standing on is "mine."

I've got lots of other thoughts on our new place in Princeton, but they are buried under boxes. The cord for my camera is lost and I can't post new pictures--and I often let the pictures do the talking when I am talked out, which I am now.

The very short story of our journey is this: We took a month to get to Princeton, visiting San Diego, Kansas City, St. Louis, Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville, and Washington DC along the way (by car). By the time we pulled up to our door, I thought the drive would never end, even though I loved seeing dear friends and family. Several times along the trip Matty and I wished we could just abandon the car and book a flight home, or sprout wings, if necessary. Abby was knocked out with dramamine, which cured her car sickness. Noah was often asleep, sometimes upset, but mostly a trooper. I'll share highlights when I can post pictures. In the meantime, keep checking in; we're pretty lonely.

Quotes:
A: (upon walking in to our apartment for the first time) "Mommy, you HAVE to see this!"
A: (driving into town) " I love our new town."
N: (after taking too big a bite) "BIG. Mouth. Chicken."
N: (a new favorite phrase) "Haha, nevermind."

1 comment:

notes of em said...

yay! so glad your there. I cant wait to see all the pictures of your home.
I know its going to be great. and how awesome is your bathroom/closet/ 3rd bedroom. All you hoped it would be?
I thought of you last night while flipping through the channels and saw your beloved dancing show. There was some serious dancing going on and it made me smile.
Miss you guys.
and thanks for the shoes.