June 8, 2009

the glad game (a rant and a resolution)


summer cherries
Originally uploaded by gennabby.
Any Pollyanna fans out there? Well, I do like that movie, and I'm thinking about the glad game: when you're unhappy, try to think of things that make you glad and be amazed at how it helps to cheer you up.

I need to play that game today. This morning Matty and I discovered that my (locked) bike-- along with the baby trailer connected to it and Noah's helmet to boot-- was stolen last night. I BOO HOOED BIG over this. These are my wheels! My way to get around with Bean head and to ride with Abby. I'm angry and hurt and SO frustrated at having this last week (so full of errands on campus and around town to be done) made much more challenging. I want to kick someone in the shin REALLY hard. And then kick the other one harder on Bean's behalf. He LOVES riding in the bike. What a huge bummer. Just yesterday Abby and I were talking about where we would ride in New Jersey. And really, what kind of jerk steals a bike clearly set up as a mommy bike and baby trailer and helmet?????????????? I don't get it!

Sigh. But I am still glad. I'm glad that my kiddos are safe and sound; that we're making good progress on packing; that Bronwyn is bringing me fresh cherries, picked by her own hands; that we're loved and will be missed by our friends in Davis; that this coming week brings family and friends together to celebrate big accomplishments. And I am VERY glad that Abby's bike was not stolen. Even though the combination of stolen bikes (Matthew's two months ago and mine last night) and other items (the baby trailer last night and several boxes of books last year) would add up to 6+ times the cost of her bike, I am glad she does not have to experience the feeling of violation so personally right now. I am GLAD GLAD GLAD for that!

OK. I am feeling a little better. It is just stuff after all, and it's not even that sentimental--just super practical and a symbol of what makes me feel most free and happy as a mom: bouncing around town with the kids and feeling the wind in our hair and hearing Bean giggle and say "weee. big!" when we go around big turns or down big hills. I am glad that the essential ingredients are still here for times like these--the kiddos are joyful, healthy and happy; the wind is still blowing, the sun still shining--There is SO much to be thankful for, and maybe the bike and the trailer will end up serving a purpose I can't anticipate. I hope, by some means, it ends up being used for good. Call me Pollyanna, if you like; I don't care anymore how foolish or naive I seem. I am happier if I can let these disappointments go. Acknowledge them, feel the anger (kick some inanimate objects around, cry, and talk it out with friends who can listen and not think I'm nuts for crying about a bike), then let it go and be glad and grateful to God for the countless blessings I have, which dwarf the inconveniences and injustices.

Praise God from whom all blessings flow.
Praise Him all creatures here below.
Praise Him above, ye heavenly host.
Praise Father, Son and Holy Ghost. Amen.

1 comment:

notes of em said...

kicking in the shin's of the offender is totally what I would want to do. I also think that Pollyanna would possibly do the same.
(I love that movie)
so sorry for the loss of your wheels.
boo.