August 18, 2005

First encounters with C.S. Lewis

I started reading Lewis' "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe" to Abby two days ago. This was mostly an experiment to see how well she might follow the story since we do not have the new illustrated version, but rather my childhood boxed set that has a small illustration at the beginning of each chapter. She is always very excited to see the pictures, but is going wild with imagining the scenes. This translates, of course, to many questions (and interruptions, which she promises are "just one more fing..." (thing)), but we really are making excellent progress. We are halfway through the book (Edmund has just been discovered missing, and the kids are about to meet Aslan). About a chapter ago Abby said to me:

A (with a breathless and excited tone): Mommy, I have a great idea! How about me and my friends can go there (Narnia), and live there all together!
G: That sounds exciting!
A: Mommy? How do we get in that book? (She's totally serious)
G: Well, we have to read the story and imagine what it might be like to be there.
A: (pause) Mommy, I know, we can PRETEND that we are there in that book!

This anticipation to be IN the story is so fresh and wonderful. The downside is that Abby is quite concerned about the White Witch and Aslan (the Lion). She wants to meet Aslan (A: I want to be right up next to him. I'm not afraid!), but requires many assurances that the White Witch is not trying to capture her. Tonight we peeked ahead at the illustration of Aslan. I made the mistake of "rarring" (roaring) and jumping up a little. Bad mommy. Abby cried and was quite indignant!

A (through tears, and ever so slightly red-grey from crying): That's not what Aslan is like! He doesn't RAR like that. You shouldn't say that!
G: You are right, Abby. I'm so sorry for rarring at you, I was just playing. I wont do that again, I promise.
A: It's OK, I'm not mad at you.

Then a few minutes later, when it was time for her to get into her PJs, I asked her to fetch them from her bedroom. She ran about halfway down the hall and stopped abruptly, then she ran right back to me.

A: Mommy, I'm afraid!
G: Honey, what are you afraid of?
A: I'm afraid of the White Witch.

OH BOY. Now I've done it! Abby LOVES this story, but I have a feeling she is going to milk this fear for all it is worth! I'll admit, Lewis is amazing at creating a riveting story...ten bucks says she sleeps in our bed tonight.

No comments: