January 22, 2006

To Hawaii and Back Again


Abby in Kailua
Originally uploaded by gennabby.
I hardly know how to catch up on our adventures after three weeks or so. We went to Honolulu for 6 wonderful, WARM days! I presented my first conference paper, which went swimmingly. Actually, Abby did swim while I gave my talk, but the talk was well received and I had fun giving it. Matthew and my dad were there to cheer me on (along with a friend of mine, Tiffany, from Davis). While in Hawaii we visited Kailua Beach, Pearl Harbor (and the "Mighty MO", a.k.a. the U.S.S. Missouri), the North Shore, and the Polynesian Cultural Center. We went sailing twice, walked around downtown, saw lots of fish and other lovely creatures, and ate the most amazing food. Our tour guides/hosts, dad and Claudia, spoiled us rotten. We had mai tais at the Chart House, scallops, ahi, steak, shrimp, calamari, and more at several wonderful restaurants (and on board dad and Claudia's boat, "Maluhia"). Abby stayed the night on the boat one night and LOVED it; however, I'm afraid Claudia didn't get a wink of sleep. You see, Abby kicks and sleeps stretched out like a starfish.We flew home to California on Abby's 4th birthday (Jan 16th). We are buried in work again, but we have very fond memories and some delicious Kona coffee to keep us going in the dreary Davis rainy season.

No comments: