April 2, 2007

lip gloss and tighty whiteys

Abby woke me up at 7:30 this morning: "Momma, I have to get to school early today."
G: "Because you want play time in the morning?"
A: "Yeah."
Matthew drove Abby to school so that she could play for a while before class started. Right before getting out of the car, Abby proceeds to put on some (clear and glittery) lip gloss! Matthew came home to tell me that Abby looked just like me-- checking her lips in the mirror as she glossed and smacked. I told him that she reported getting an approving comment about the lip gloss from 4-year old friend Max (in another class, hence the desire to get to school early so that she can play with him before they go their separate ways). I think Abby has a little crush on Max. She called him her best friend and said she likes how his face looks. Matthew walks down the hall saying "Oh no, she has a crush. What are we gonna do?"

Then I related another conversation (from this morning):
A: Momma, why are girl undies called panties?
G: I don't know; that's just a name for them.
A: What is the name for boy undies?
G: Underwear?
A: No, something else.
G: Tighty whiteys?
A: Yeah! Those are gross.
G: Why? Are your undies gross?
A: No. Boy undies are gross because they go on butts.
G: So do your undies.
A: But girls aren't gross. Even daddy's undies go on his butt.

I did not ever clarify why boy bums are gross and girl bums aren't, but I took this whole conversation as an excellent reason not to make too much of her putting on clear lip gloss before school. As long as boys are gross, we're fine. Of course, if BBQ ends up being a boy, we will have more conversations like this one, I'm sure. Most of them will likely confirm her suspicions about boys--lovable and gross.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Boys really are lovable and gross. Grayson is still hoping BBQ is a boy. That conversation about the underwear was hilarious!