April 20, 2007

student of the month

Yesterday the whole fam took Abby to school. I made that sound way too easy; let me start over. I was up with Noah from 4:30-7:30 a.m. He was wide-eyed and hungry. Abby made her way to our room after hearing Matthew and I talking to Noah (around 5 a.m.). Matty and Abby fell asleep again and I woke them up at 7:30 so that M could get A ready for school. I requested a wake-up call at 8 a.m., but time flew and I woke up at 8:35...totally unprepared to get into the car to go to Abby's school recital. A mad dash ensued and we were all in the car by 8:54 (she was due at school by 8:55). Noah was wailing because he was starving (I was going to feed him right before leaving the house). I grabbed a bottle of formula, which kept Noah happy during the recital, but also provided the ammo for his first world-class spit up episode--all over my nicest shirt that fits and in the middle of a large group of parents watching their kids sing patriotic songs. (Formula spit-up stinks). At that moment I realized I had forgotten to pack another outfit for him, and he was covered too. All of this faded into the background when Abby's teacher got up to announce that our own little Abby was "student of the month" in her class! Watching her walk over to her teacher to receive her star necklace and words of praise was a great moment. She smiled at Matthew and me and made sheepish grins to the rest of the onlookers. I remembered being about her age and singing in school recitals with mom and dad watching, and I wondered: How did I get here? My own daughter is singing and smiling up there and my son is in my arms; my husband is 30 and I'm turning 30. What a trip!

Next Abby shared Noah for show-and-tell. She held him carefully on her lap and told her classmates the important details: "This is my baby brother. He is very soft and very cute. He likes to suck on my nose and sometimes my finger too. We have to change his diapers when he poops. I like to snuggle him and kiss him. He smiles when he dreams." Wow. Abby really does love Noah. She lights up with smiles when she gets to snuggle with him or hold him. Last night she had him in bed with her for a few minutes and she wanted him to stay for the whole night:
A: I want him to stay with me. He makes me feel not afraid.
G: But he is so tiny; how could he protect you?
A: I don't know, he just makes me feel better. I want a real person with me in my room.
G: I understand, sweetie. When he gets bigger, he will sleep in your room.
A: Mama, will Noah grow up to be a dwarf? He is so little.
G: (laughing) No. Dr. O would have told us. Noah will probably be nice and tall.
A: Will I be a dwarf?
G: No. You're going to be taller than mommy.
A: Are you a dwarf?
G: No. (Though daddy likes to make fun of my shortness!)
A: I'm tired...

And so it went. Abby slept through the night--our little "student of the month"--she is such an amazing girl. Not once has she expressed even the slightest bit of jealousy toward Noah! I now have to remind her that I exist if I want a kiss goodnight; the girl is smitten with this new brother of hers. We all are.

No comments: