April 14, 2007

We're home!


Two hands full
Originally uploaded by gennabby.
The Pearsons FOUR are home at last. This is Genna by the way; now you get my side of the Noah story! Born April 11, 2007 at 10:47, he weighed 5 pounds 5 ounces (and is a little less than 5 pounds at the moment). He is 17 3/4 inches long (his sister was born at 6 lbs. 5 oz. and 19 inches, but she was three days early, he is between 3-5 weeks early). They think he may be at about 35 weeks, or perhaps 36. Noah arrived in spectacular fashion. My blood pressure was up so I was put on bed rest. The next day I went in to the birthing center to have some labs drawn and the doc just didn't see the point in letting the baby and I remain in any danger of complications due to blood pressure, so she suggested that we induce. Abby was at school, my hospital bag was at home and partially packed, and the infant car seat was still in storage. We thought we had some time left to prepare! Delivery details: so they placed a tiny pill next to my cervix, which had me dilated to 3cm by the morning. A pitocin drip got me to 4 cm shortly after that (all of this causing only mildly uncomfortable cramping). Then Dr. Wilson (a doc from Ireland) said he would break the bag of waters to "get things moving." He also said I could have an epidural at any time so I said I'd take it right then. Well, the rest of the story is the spectacular part: In less than 40 minutes, I dilated from 4 cm to 10 AND had Noah--WITH NO PAIN MEDS. They didn't even have time to get the epidural placed (though they were rooting around in my back for the right spot for a minute or two). I told the nurse that I had a super strong urge to push. To our surprise, she felt the baby's head already crowning! I was in complete agony from about 30 seconds after Dr. Wilson broke my water until Noah was born, but he was born with one push for his head and one for the rest of him. I don't know if I had more than one contraction. Matthew said he just came flying out. The doc made it to the room just after Noah arrived. Matthew said he hopes his hearing is intact (I screamed so loud that my throat hurt the next day). I had no tearing at all, and therefore no stitches or extra worries about infection, etc. I am sore, to be sure, but I feel really good. My BP is back down. Noah is itty bitty, but very healthy. Matthew taught Noah to nurse! We needed to give him some formula to keep his weight up, so Matthew got to feed him using his pinky finger and a tiny tube. My milk has come in now and Noah is nursing well. I have more stories to share, but I am exhausted right now. Before I go though, I just have to say that Matthew is an amazing husband and dad; he is taking such great care of me and of Noah and Abby too. You're the best, Matty.
Abby is in love with her baby brother. She thinks he is the cutest baby ever, and she is very proud about being his big sister. What a joy to see them together! Forgive my fogginess, but I am taking a muscle relaxant for a very owie neck (a result of looking down to nurse and admire Noah). More soon...

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Matthew, try that picture with Noah naked and see what happens. I love the one with Abby. Wasn't she almost that small yesterday? We just spent some time in prayer for that neck and trust that God will hear our prayers. Our joy is barely containable. Noah is so precious! We love you all and will be praying for your adjustment to being home. Love ya'll.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I'm not getting naked for you or anybody else on this blog.