June 4, 2007

floor d'oeuvre, take 2

A long while back I wrote about Abby eating an old chicken nugget from the floor. Well, she has topped that. I got a call from her school this afternoon:"You might want to come pick Abby up and call her doctor; she swallowed a staple." Apparently she found a staple on the ground during her nap (I think this is a great reason to not have naps anymore), bent the arms of it a bit and "somehow" the staple jumped down her throat. I can't get the clearest idea from Abby of how this happened, but I am pretty sure that it didn't go down her wind pipe--that would be cause for alarm, but she shows no signs of irritation in her chest; no coughing, no trouble breathing, no spitting up blood, etc. Her doc said to give her cheese pizza, which would hopefully surround the staple in her tummy and make it easy to pass. I'm hoping that she learns an important lesson from this! NO MORE non-food items in the mouth unless the item is a musical instrument or a toothbrush. Watch, the kid will gag on grass and insist that grass-buzzing counts as making music.

No comments: