June 18, 2007

new dress


new dress
Originally uploaded by gennabby.
Here is one little dress that Pam helped me put together! I am learning how to sew a "french seam," so this smocked fabric was perfect to start out with. We're loving this!

The other day in a fabric store, Abby was telling me how much she would like to learn to sew. Having just watched an episode of a fashion show on television (and being a big fan of "Project Runway"--a show about fashion design), I began imagining my daughter as a top designer. Just as I was thinking "She could be the next Vera Wang!":
G: you could even design your own clothes!
A: Yeah! And I could sew clothes for the orphans and give them to them!
It was a stunning dichotomy of images, and I looked at her and teared up. What a lovely thought. Then I began thinking about how she could clothe tons of orphans by selling just one designer gown, but I didn't say that out loud. I like the way she thinks and the tenderness she has in her heart for the orphans of the world. If she spent the rest of her life sewing scraps together for kiddos without parents, I would be the proudest momma in the whole world.

No comments: