September 7, 2007

So Close, but So Far Away

I think things often seem simultaneously so close and so far away. The exhilaration and frustration of ALMOST is what many of us secretly seek; sometimes ALMOST is just another way to describe the reality of not being in control.

I've been "off-line" for a while as I wait for Apple to replace my computer, which hit the magic number (4) of break-downs. Apple has replaced the logic board thrice, and now my little silver friend has been shipped off for the scrap pile. I feel like I just sentenced R2-D2 or C-3PO to machine purgatory, or worse! And now I wait...and check the FedEx tracking number...again....again...and I watch as my new computer leaves Shanghai, passes through Alaska, Indianapolis. They tell me it will be Tuesday before it arrives. Baaa.

I miss my old, unreliable mac.

Another ALMOST: We live just an hour from Berkeley. For years M and I have known that the Tennessee VOLS would play the Cal Bears in Berkeley in September of 2007 (I'm talking about football, people). We did not know, however, that we would have an infant by the time the game rolled around and that said infant would not be much of a bottle-taker, making the babysitting option not an option. Alas, the game ensued with us watching from Davis and not "re-living" our first date (M took me to a VOLS game in Knoxville some eight years ago). That said, we're sure glad we have Noah Bean. Oh yeah, and the VOLS lost, so we would have had a long, bummerish ride home from Berkeley anyway.

other ALMOSTS? We ALMOST got 3 hours of sleep the night before last (fussy baby).
I've ALMOST started exercising again. And studying again. And cleaning the house again; wait, I didn't do that much before...ha!

And you, yes you, reading this blog post, don't ALMOST call me and say hi. Do it! Write me a snail mail letter! If that's not enticing enough, write Abby a letter; that kid LOVES to get mail. She checks the mail box every day (and usually complains about not having anything in the mail). Even better, send her a new chapter book or a (non-lead-tainted) toy!

Alright, I'm about to have ALMOST had time for a latte before Noah wakes up!
See ya!

No comments: