April 5, 2008

dressing-room confessions

We went to the mall today: this is something we very very rarely do. We go once a year around Christmas time, but not in April!?! Anyway, we found ourselves (all 4 Pearsons) at Express (a clothing store for men and women) and I tried a few things on just for yucks. If I'm going to the trouble to try things on, I figure I ought to try things I normally wouldn't wear: such as a cute little black dress. You know, just to see how I look in it! Well, I tried it on in front of Abby, and we had the following conversation:

G: Hmm, this is cute but I'd never have anyplace to wear it!
A: Yeah, you'd have to get a divorce!
G: (After truly belly laughing and feeling thankful I hadn't just taken a sip of anything, lest I spray it all over the place) Where did you hear that word?
A: On Mrs. Doubtfire (a movie). If the dress were white, it could be like a wedding dress a little bit.

At first I thought she meant what I was thinking she meant: Yeah, daddy isn't going to take mommy anywhere that she needs to wear that dress. And, really, neither of us are into fussy dates--we like coffee dates, movies out, dinner together (alone), and an occasional destination date where we actually have something we want to see or experience together, like wine tasting or a bike race (or a Vols game). But these dates are rare; we're too busy for that level of planning. Maybe Abby was thinking that the dress would make a cute wedding dress, but that I wouldn't need one of those unless I remarried (which would, logically, require a divorce). So, I was shocked in the funniest way that she would even think about the concept. Man, my kid is a crack up.

2 comments:

Erica said...

Hi there Genna
you are a friend of emily's and so am i (i also know matt from ut). i saw your post on her page re: vaccines. i too have been separating my little boy's shots. he has not gotten his MMR, and i saw how you said you were going to separate it? does your ped actually have the separate doses for each part of the MMR? most of them come in one vile as one shot, so i was just curious if you specifically requested them to order all three parts separately. I didn't know if that is what you meant or if you meant to do the MMR by itself and have the other shots they give with it done at a different time. I know it's kinda random that i contacted from this post on your blog, but I was really curious after reading your comment on em's about how you were having that done. you can leave me back a comment on my blog which should show up when i leave this comment.
thanks! erica willis

notes of em said...

Hey, Let me know too.... love seeing your kiddo's on a "regular" basis.
love and misses.... em