December 3, 2006

"Kafka"

This entry is from Bronwyn's blog (pasted shamelessly here, with proper citation credit...). She kept Abby during our tests on Friday and brought home some giggles with this story:

Yesterday I had the privilege of spending a couple of hours with my 4-year old neighbour Abby while her Mom was taking a grueling 8 hours English literature exam. We went from pre-school to grab a bite to eat for lunch: I had salad, she had chicken strips.

As we were leaving and getting her settled into her car seat, she asked "What's Kafka?"

I thought: "Kafka? Wow - I don't know anything about Kafka except that he was a great writer. Bohemian. Haven't read any, and couldn't name anything he had written. But why is she asking about Kafka? This is amazing English literature insight from this 4 year old! Maybe she is just really 'in tune' with her Mom who's writing this exam... but why is she asking this now?

I said: "Why do you ask?"

"There," she said, pointing. "What's Kafka?"

I followed her finger to the big red and white sign saying "K-F-C", which for little girls just learning how to sound out letters says "kuh-f-kuh" :-)

No comments: