December 3, 2006

Drum roll please....

Matthew has PASSED his oral exams! He never has to take another academic test again! Bedraggled and beat up, M came home after a 2.5 hour grilling by 5 econ profs. They do not pull punches, and they do not let you get through this hurdle without really working hard. After their deliberations, the first thing Matthew was told was: Congratulations, you have passed. So, he is officially a "PhD Candidate" also known as "ABD"-- All-But-Dissertation. This means he still has to work on his diss. and get it signed, but the powers that be think he's ready to proceed. I am SO PROUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (times infinity!)

I am WAITING for my results, which should be announced in about a week or two at the most. (Since my test was written, the professors need more time to grade it). I feel good about my performance on the test; I knew the material cold and did all I could to evidence that knowledge. After over 5 months of studying, eight hours to show them what I've got seemed like the blink of an eye. Later that night though, I realized that I had indeed sat for 8.5 hours, with only brief potty breaks; my whole body ached when I got in bed. I was shivering and emotional and achy all over--it took me till this morning (Sunday) to feel the real relief of having gotten through the hardest studying and examination I've ever faced.

BBQ decided to kick harder than ever at about hour 5 of the test. I was sitting cross-legged (to give my lower back a break) and had my laptop on my lap. BBQ kicked the computer over and over until I moved to a different position. The kicking was distracting, but I assured baby that I wished I could kick the computer too.

Abby was a very good girl for our dear friend Bronwyn, who generously kept her all afternoon! After my test ended at 5:15 p.m. Abbs came home with energy to spare, Matthew was laid out face down on the bed, and I stood in my messy house in a complete daze. We're getting it together now, though. Thanks to everyone who prayed for us, brought us meals, kept Abby, brought us (me) lattes, manned the phones for frantic calls, bought us (Matthew) celebratory beers, and reminded us of what is so much more important than these tests. We are truly thankful to God for providing such a network of family and friends to lean on.

No comments: