October 2, 2007

Strep Tests, Fire Alarms, and Overdue Books

Maybe the title gives it all away. Today has been nutty, and it isn't even 2pm. Well, the morning started out well: All of us up by 6:00 am, Abby and Matthew were out the door for school by 7am (Matthew to teach in Stockton, an hour away); Noah was down for his nap by 8 and I was getting research done while sipping my latte. Noah woke up happy and we went to the UCDavis library and the English department to drop off books for a professor. With intentions to take a large stack of books to the Davis Public library--books due TODAY, or we will owe even more than the ten dollars in overdue fines we've racked up--the day unravelled...

I missed an incoming call from Abby's school (couldn't get the cell out of my purse fast enough, as I was just putting Noah down for his afternoon nap). Upon calling back, I was informed that Abby had a tummy ache, a headache, a throat ache and a low fever. I said I was on my way, hung up, and called to make an appointment with Abby's doc. Abbs has had a tummy ache on and off for 4 days now, and that's long enough!

So with a sleepy Noah packed in the car, we got Abbs to the doc by 12:03pm. Abby has a delicate gag reflex, for those of you who didn't know that. Well, the strep test was enough to send her heaving. Twice. The doc got to hold Noah while I undressed poor Abby. After a positive result on the test, we left the doc's office: Abby in my shirt, me in an undershirt (thank GOD for that!), Noah taking it all in and trying to hang in there despite being super tired by this point. I felt too underdressed to trapse through Rite Aid to get Abby's antibiotics and figured I'd call my friend Bronwyn to see if she could guard the kids for a minute while I ran over. She's in a meeting at the moment, but something will work out.

OK--home at last and feeding Abby a very light lunch (plus her milk from the Starbucks drivethrough we visited on they way home from the doc). Noah fell asleep sometime during all of the hullaballoo, UNTIL the knock on the door from the fire dept. checking fire alarms. I remembered getting the notice on the door about this, but now it became much more inconvenient. One cannot check a fire alarm quietly, and I had already requested that maintenance TRY to be more quiet as they install a new water heater in our upstairs neighbors' place. In the meantime, Abby looks pale green and I grab a wastebasket and hold it as she upchucks her pesto pasta salad and Starbucks milk. My second latte of the day is all of a sudden MUCH less enjoyable, and Abby has now taken out two of my shirts besides her school uniform--all of which are in a pile in the hallway. I WISH WE HAD A WASHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So the fire alarm woke Noah up and I decided to wait and see if he could soothe himself back to sleep. He did. Deep breaths. Noah is sleeping in his crib, Abby is asleep in our bed. The fire department guys are beeping their way through the whole apartment complex, though the alarms become fainter as they get further away. Perhaps it was because I told him I was up to my elbows in vomit, or perharps he has kids himself, but the Davis Public Library dude gave me a break and renewed (by phone) all but one of our overdue books: "Baby-proofing Your Marriage" must be returned by 10 am tomorrow. Tee hee.

I'm supposed to frost a cake for my decorating class tonight. What a laugh! Maybe I'll just snuggle up to Abby and nap while the kiddos are napping. It has certainy been a productive day, though not in the way I had anticipated. OH! Bron just called from work and will pick up Abby's meds on her way home. Bless you, oh pregnant one. Things are working out and we will be fine. I think parenting is actually harder than getting a PhD. It definitely smells worse.

No comments: