January 20, 2009

A Moo-ving experience


Abby and the moo cow
Originally uploaded by gennabby.
We got to see this tiny cow be born tonight! Matty and Noah saw the hoofs sticking out, but the momma cow was taking too long, so they went home and Abbs and I stayed behind to see the rest of the birth. With a little help --a strong and smooth pull--from one of the guys who works at the cow barn, out came a little moo cow. And then came the questions! Why can't the baby stay with the momma (a practice of dairy barns)? Did you hear the momma moo? Was it owie to have the baby? Was it owie to have me and Noah? Is the baby OK? When will it get to nurse?

Then the cow guy got to talking to another onlooker about artificial insemination and how they can tell when the cows are "ready" to be inseminated...this included details about bulls jumping on cows (mounting), cows jumping on cows, etc. and Abby's eyes were large as she asked me:

A: Why would the bulls do that?
G: Uh, that's how they make baby cows.
A: That's so mean!
G: Well, they aren't mean to each other, and besides, there aren't any bulls at this dairy barn.
A: I'm so glad I'm not a cow that gets jumped on.

Oh boy. There weren't any more specific questions, so I let it go. I guess cows might end up being her entry into the birds and the bees talk one day. That is so Davis, California. I forget sometimes that we live in Dairy central. Anyway, it was super cool to see a calf born. I kept feeling sorry for the momma cow. Even the way she waddled around and the way her little eyes seemed so say "I'm tired" seemed familiar. Sigh. For Abby, the evening just made her more sensitive to the fact that we eat animals. She has started to feel very sad lately about eating chickens, pigs, and cows. She cried the other night about a joke I made regarding rabbit stew. She could NOT believe people would eat a bunny. It was a big scene. Matthew was laughing, making Abby indignant, but it was nearly impossible not to laugh--she was so passionate and upset! It reminded me of myself when I was her age. One time my mom had purchased a mouse trap to catch a mouse we had in the house. This is no joke: I made two large posters--one for me and one for my little sister-- and we picketed my mom outside our house. The signs read "Rights for Mice!" "Mice have lives too! Mice have rights!" Apparently it was kind of embarrassing for my mom.

Anyway, I'm just hoping that Abby doesn't become a vegetarian anytime soon. That would make meal planning a challenge.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

To be specific(as I recall)...your signs were "MY mom does not believe in Right to Life" (and not mouse specific!) The entire neighborhood thought I was running a back alley "clinic" I was sure. Not much makes me embarassed but that one was one for the books!

G and Andi saw alot of birth growing up...Andi always had some creature birthing...and in fact Genna once woke up to a cat "queening" (ie having kittens) on her bed and in fact on her!!!!

Genna just give Abby "Cheese Dogs" I promise they are not made from dogs (not sure it is even real cheese :)
mama

Melanie said...

That is sooo funny! I think Abby is a good mix of her mom and dad as we have seen from the last couple of posts. Now, lets just hope Bean-o is a mix of mom and dad and not just straight up Pearson. Two may be too many.

Bronwyn said...

ok: firstly, something funny. the "word verification" below this comment requires me to type in "udder sa". Ha ha. how ironic.

So glad you got to see the little one being born! Wish we could have stayed to see it too.