October 17, 2006

a "miracle"

I came home tired after teaching from 4-6 tonight. Abby was pouting and grumpy because M wouldn't let her play a game on the computer. She started complaining about her leg, her hand, and her neck hurting; oh yes, and her eye was very itchy too. She was angry about her food (she wanted mommy's chicken tetrazini after she ate her own portion) and angry at not getting her way about the computer, so she decided to milk the owie card.

WAY too tired to put up with this, I calmly told her that the best course of action for someone feeling so blue and owie is to have a bath and go straight to bed. I walked out of the room a minute to take a deep breath and give her time to consider what I had said. When I walked back into the room, she sheepishly said to me:

A: Mommy, I know something great is happening, but I don't want you to think I'm lying.
G: What is it?
A: My owies are all better. My leg doesn't hurt anymore; my hand and my neck are better too. I'm not lying.
G: How did they get better so fast?
A: I don't know; they just did. (Pause) Momma, since I am feeling better, do I still need to go bed early? I'll stop whining, I promise.

No comments: