October 23, 2006

the sound of childhood

I never had legos as a kid, but Matthew sure did. He and Abby went to Wal Mart tonight to hunt for legos. I never knew these things were so tiny (and, yes, I'm thinking that it will be interesting keeping baby Pearson away from them). One other detail about legos that I never knew: they are LOUD. Abby and Matthew have been digging around the bin, finding just the right pieces for their house, and I'm getting a little headachy. In fact, I think I am going to hide out and take a bath. I mentioned how loud the legos were and Matthew simply replied: "This is the sound of childhood." If we have a boy this time around, or a louder girl than Abby, I'll be needing ear plugs, aromatherapy, and maybe even quarterly massages.

I may be very slow to blog until after December 1--my PhD preliminary exam is on that date, and all of my time and energy is going to studying, managing nausea and fatigue, and trying to snuggle and love my family before I fall asleep at 8:15 p.m. So PLEASE pray for me and for us. Especially pray that I'll not be anxious and that I will somehow get the rest and peace that I need in order to manage this very stressful time.

1 comment:

Bronwyn said...

Hi friend: I will definitely pray...

On the subject of "sounds of childhood"... I think it varies from person to person. For me, it was the sound of trying to combine different (discordant) notes on the piano together. I'm sure it sounded awful to the adults around. For Jeremy, it was seeing how long he could make frog sounds come out on just one breath...